These smashed and roasted new potatoes aren't a super-fast dish to make since they take a while to bake, but they're so, so good that I recommend you make a double batch and simply re-heat them in an oven or toaster oven to enjoy for a few meals – they're worth it!
Smashed Potatoes with Onions & Garlic
- 2-3 pounds new potatoes
- 1 onion large
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp melted butter or ghee
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, then boil the potatoes for 15 mins, until fork tender. Remove from heat and drain the potatoes.
- While the potatoes boil, slice the onion and smash and roughly chop the garlic, toss them in a large mixing bowl with 3 tbsp each butter or ghee and extra virgin olive oil. Season with plenty of salt and pepper and the dried oregano or any other seasoning you like.
- When the potatoes are boiled, place them on a rimmed baking sheet, then smash each one flat with either a fork or a mallet. Toss the onion mixture in with the potatoes, then spread it out evenly on the sheet.
- Roast for about 30 minutes or until brown and crispy.