In the last few weeks while staying at home, we have done our best to source proteins from what's available in stores, swaps available on Instacart, and generally being flexible with whatever cuts we are able to get.
I want to take this moment to both:
1) give you the permission to simply buy whatever protein you are able to buy right now – whether due to a tightened budget or lack of easy-access, and
2) remind you that if you have the means and are able, to support more local or decentralized sources of animal protein.
We love and purchase from (relatively local-to-us) Five Marys Farms regularly.
If you are looking for a way to shop and support local farms online in the U.S., I've rounded up a small crowdsourced list of farms to consider.
I'd love to add to it if we can.
If you have one you love and want to recommend/shout out, please leave a comment on this post and we will update the post to include it!
If we get enough, we'll organize this by-state / region or nationally available options. That said, I'd like to keep this to smaller, independent and domestic farms, please – the aim isn't to list companies that import meats at this time. The intent is to support these farms while giving you all options, not solely to say “here are places that ship.” I hope that makes sense.
- Five Marys Farms – They raise and sell pastured beef, pork, and lamb. Shipping is to all 50 states.
- Walden Local Meat – A meat share serving New England and NY – 100% grass-fed beef, pasture raised pork and poultry. Local delivery.
- Cove Rise Farms Ohio – Pasture-raised and non-GMO poultry, lamb, pork, and honey available. Shipping is to all 50 states.
- Heritage Hills Farmstead – This family farm ships nationwide and offers free local delivery to customers in North Alabama. All of the meats are exclusively free of soy, corn, and grain.
Shipping is to all 50 states.
- Goffle Road Poultry Farm – Family farm serving local customers in Ridgewood, NJ with all natural chicken, turkey and eggs.
- Keller Crafted – The first Non-GMO Project Verified charcuterie company in the United States.
Shipping is available to all 50 states.
- Stemple Creek Ranch – Shipping grass-fed, grass-finished beef and lamb and pasture raised pork. Shipping is to all 50 states.
- Wallace Farms – Local drop-off available in Iowa and Illinois. Shipping is to all 50 states.
- Apsey Family Farms – Grass-fed beef and pasture-raised chicken from the farm, and high quality pork sourced from a neighboring family farm available. Shipping is available throughout the Midwest, free overnight to Michigan.
- Bee’s Knees Farm & Creamery – Local delivery throughout Virginia.
- Bubbling Springs Farm – For those in the Twin Cities or western Wisconsin area, this organic, regenerative family farm offers pasture-raised, dry-aged beef for pick up or local delivery.
- Yonder Way Farm – Pastured chicken and pork and grass-fed/finished beef available for farm pick-ups and delivery to the Houston area, and shipping anywhere in Texas for a flat rate.
- Chestnut Farms – Pickup available all over Eastern Massachusetts.
- North Mountain Pastures – Pennsylvania-based family farm selling high quality, pastured meats. Shipping available to 10 U.S. states.
- Scholze Family Farms – Family farm based in Wisconsin. Shipping is available throughout the state.
- Deck Family Farm – Pasture-raised beef, lamb, pork, and chicken available for pick-up and drop-off throughout Oregon.
- The Bluffs – Based in Central Minnesota, this farm delivers pastured pork, grass-fed beef, and pastured lamb to the central Minnesota and metro areas and are starting farmers markets in the area in May. Pastured poultry will be available starting in July.
- Primal Pastures – Family farm based in Temecula, CA.
- Seven Sons – Based in Roanoke, IN (outside Ft Wayne, IN). They have beef, pork, and chicken, all humanely and sustainably raised.
If the farms above do not ship to your area, consider searching to see if there are options available near you. Some farmers markets are offering easy pick-up services, and new drop-off/delivery options are popping up all over.
Let’s all do our part to support these farms!