Need some serious recipe and get healthy inspiration?
I am so, so excited to share my dear friend Robyn Youkilis’s new book: GO WITH YOUR GUT: The Insider’s Guide to Banishing the Bloat with 75 Digestion-Friendly Recipes is available for pre-order!
I love Robyn for her slightly-sassy, no-nonsense tips and her seriously to die for recipes.
Did you listen to us on the Balanced Bites Podcast #227 last week? We got to chat about her new book and we answered listener questions about digestion.
Robyn makes this healthy thing look like a total party! Go with Your Gut teaches readers how to change their relationship with food and their body through insider tips, fun guidelines, and delicious recipes.
Half how-to high-level coaching guide and half cookbook, Go with Your Gut includes over 75 beautifully photographed recipes that are adaptable for everyone from paleo to vegan, including the Good For You Chocolate Cake and Sauerkraut made simple.
Creamy Vegetable Soup
(from Robyn Youkilis' Go with Your Gut)
I know it’s not cool to talk about dieting and weight loss anymore in the happy holistic wellness land, but to be real, this is my secret “diet” soup. Why? Because that little ¾ cup of cashews combined with heaps of veggies will fill you up like nobody’s business. And because sometimes, even though we may know better, we find ourselves at the end of a pretty long line of not so great food choices and want to lose a couple of extra pounds that crept up on us. So this soup is it. All of the variations work perfectly. I don’t even have a favorite!
Makes 3-4 servings
- 3/4 cup unsalted raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups chopped broccoli, cauliflower, or tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cups water (to cover vegetables)
- 2-3 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Set cashews to soak in a bowl of water from 5 to 20 minutes then rinse and drain. 20 minutes is best but 5 minutes works, too!
- In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until they are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the veggie of choice, enough water to cover, the sea salt, and pepper. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes, until and the vegetables are tender and soft.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (see Note), working in batches if necessary. Add the cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Taste for seasonings and serve immediately, or let the soup cool. Cover and refrigerate it.
Note: If you’re not using a Vitamix, wait for the soup to cool before blending. You can use a hand blender directly in the pot, too.
This recipe and 75 others can be found in Robyn Youkilis' new book, Go with Your Gut!
Diane Sanfilippo / Balanced Bites, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com